Charlotte Mecklenburg Library encourages reading and learning all year long. The summer months, when students take a break from school, are critical to expanded learning. In fact, summertime poses the most academic risk because students without access to summer learning opportunities can fall behind their peers, creating an achievement gap that is hard to close.
To keep kids on track with important matters such as literacy and physical activity, the Library offers Summer Break, annual summer learning program that encourages children to read, learn and explore.
With library locations currently closed due to the state’s stay-at-home order, the Library has made some changes to the Summer Break program this year. This year, the program runs June 1 – August 8 with registration beginning on June 1. There will also be two separate—yet related—challenges:
- Summer Break: At Home (June 1-30) – All participants – babies, children, teens and adults – are challenged to stay at home and read 15 million minutes as a community while working towards earning virtual badges.
- Summer Break: Reading Takes You Everywhere (July 1-August 8) - The community is challenged to read another 20 million minutes and, in addition to more virtual badges, participants can earn prizes.
Participants can sign up for Summer Break: At Home beginning June 1, and once signed up, will be automatically added to the second challenge. Participants can also pre-register for Summer Break: Reading Takes You Everywhere on June 15.
Also new this year, there is a mobile app called “Beanstack Tracker” where participants can create a free online account to track reading time, learning and leisure activities throughout the program. It’s easy to use:
- Download the app through your App store by searching “Beanstack Tracker,” made by Zoobean and downloading it to your phone or other device
- Create an account with your email address for just you, or your whole family, and search for “Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.” Then, select the challenge Summer Break: At Home
- Track activities online to collect virtual badges
Summer Break participants complete the program after achieving 600 points either through reading, or with a combination of reading and learning activities. During Summer Break: Reading Takes You Everywhere (July 1 – August 8) participants can earn a Wendy’s Jr. Frosty coupon at sign up and a prize at completion. Prizes may be available after July 1, pending library operations. Prizes are available while supplies last.