The Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, a department in the Main Library, houses historical and current information on Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and North Carolina. It also owns genealogical resources from all fifty states in print and online - the largest collection of genealogical materials in a public library in North Carolina!
The CMStory.org website draws from Carolina Room materials to make exhibits about local history and genealogy.
Carolina Room Collections & Services
Carolina Room materials are for reference use only and may not be checked out. You can find them in the Library Catalog by searching for materials using the location "NCR" (North Carolina Room). Our special collections include the following:
- Image Collection – photographs and postcards of people, buildings and historic scenes. We also house most of the Charlotte Observer negatives from 1956-2000.
- School Publications – Older yearbooks are also available online at DigitalNC.org.
- Family Research Computer Center - offers access to websites useful for local history and genealogy research. Free access to Ancestry.com's Library Edition and a sizable collection of genealogy resource CD-ROMs are also available.
- Manuscript Collection – includes family, business, and non-profit records and documents.
- Music Archive – We have one of the largest collections of local music in North Carolina. From gospel to country, bluegrass to folk, rock to hip-hop, the music of the Carolinas can be discovered in the Carolina Room. Recordings may not be duplicated and listening sessions are by appointment and for research purposes only.
- Maps – offers a variety of historic and modern maps for the region and the Carolinas.
- Vertical Files - may contain newspaper clippings, annual reports, brochures, maps, and other small, ephemeral materials related to Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and the Carolinas.
- Microfilm - includes county records for Mecklenburg and all other North Carolina counties as well as historic and current newspapers. Microfilm scanner/readers are available to display and make digital or paper copies of pages from the microfilm.
- Government Documents & Statistics – We provide a partial depository for documents produced by government agencies. Most items are on microfiche, and some are available online through the Library’s catalog.
View the Reference and Research Policy for more information.
Visit the Carolina Room
Manager: Jane Johnson
Location: 3rd Floor
Hours of Operation