The Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, a department in the Main Library, houses historical and current information on Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and North Carolina, as well as genealogical resources in print and online. The Carolina Room has the largest collection of genealogical materials in a public library in North Carolina.
The CMStory.org website displays exhibits about local history and genealogy.
Carolina Room Collections & Services
Carolina Room materials are for reference use only and may not be checked out. You can find them in the Library Catalog by searching for materials using the location "NCR" (North Carolina Room).
- Image Collection – This is an ever-expanding collection of photographs and postcards of people, buildings and historic scenes. We also house most of the Charlotte Observer negatives from 1956-2000.
- School Publications – Some yearbooks are also available online at DigitalNC.org.
- Manuscript Collection – Our growing collection includes family, business, and non-profit records and documents.
- Music Archive – We have one of the largest collections of local music in North Carolina. From gospel to country, bluegrass to folk, rock to hip-hop, the music of the Carolinas can be discovered in the Carolina Room. Recordings may not be duplicated and listening sessions are by appointment and for research purposes only.
- Government Documents & Statistics – We provide a partial depository for documents produced by government agencies. Most items are on microfiche, and some are available online through the Library’s catalog.
- Maps – Our collection offers a variety of historic and modern maps for the region and the Carolinas.
- Microfilm - The collection includes county records for Mecklenburg and all other North Carolina counties as well as historic and current newspapers. Microfilm printers are available to make copies.
- Family Research Computer Center - Patrons can enjoy access to websites useful for local history and genealogy research. Free access to Ancestry.com's Library Edition and a sizable collection of genealogy resource CD-ROMs are also available.
View the Reference and Research Policy for more information.
Visit the Carolina Room
Manager: Jane Johnson
Location: 3rd Floor
Hours of Operation