Part of the Library’s mission is to provide opportunities for personal success in reading and learning for everyone. To this end, we offer book club kits.
Each kit includes 10 copies of a book for use by your club, biographical notes on the author, sample discussion questions and tips for a successful book discussion.
Reserving a Kit
Choose a title from the list of book club kits, then use our online form to request your book club kit. If you do not have access to the internet, please call 704-416-0303 or visit your local library and ask a librarian to reserve book club kits for you. Please allow 10 days for processing of the book club kit requests.
YOU MAY RESERVE AS MANY KITS AS YOU WISH, HOWEVER, YOU MAY ONLY CHECK OUT ONE KIT AT A TIME.
Picking up and Returning a Kit
You can pick up a kit at any Charlotte Mecklenburg Library location. A kit is checked out to one book club member who is responsible for all of the materials. The group may keep the kit for up to 6 weeks. Book club kits may not be renewed.
Kits must be returned to a Charlotte Mecklenburg Library location during operating hours, since they cannot be returned in a book drop. The fine for overdue kits is $1 a day, and missing books will be charged to the person who checked out the kit ($15 per copy).
Criteria for Book Club Kit Titles
- must be available in paperback
- must have a discussion guide
In addition, the book's content:
- must be entertaining and educational
- must contain characters faced with difficult moral or ethical choices
- must have universal or lasting application and have literary merit
- must allow for different interpretations by a variety of readers
- can be read more than once, with the reader learning something new each time
Gina deLisle, Senior Library Assistant
Hours of Operation