This is a South County Regional update you don’t want to miss. We have exciting news to share - are you ready?
South County Regional Library (located at 5801 Rea Road, Charlotte, NC 28277) re-opens today, February 22, 2021, with limited services. We are opening South County Regional in compliance with the latest Mecklenburg County public health directive. During this phase, the Library will ONLY offer limited services including: “Grab and Go” holds pickup, mobile printing, materials returns and online programs for children, teens, adults, Outreach and more.
Upon re-opening on February 22, South County services will align with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library system service schedule. Hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m.-8 p.m., and Friday and Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. The branch is not open on Sundays.
Please note the new traffic pattern in the parking lot. With a new automated material handling unit that will soon be available at our new materials/book drop, customers should enter the parking lot and proceed to the LEFT in front of the building and then travel counter-clockwise through the front parking lot. Please be sure to follow the arrows and signs for safety.
On February 22, customers can expect the following adjusted services (which rolled out systemwide on January 15, 2021):
- Customer holds will be available as “Grab and Go” at the front entrance of the branch. Materials can be reserved through the online catalog. Note: If you placed a hold at another Library branch and want to move your hold to South County Regional for pickup, see information at the end of this blog on how to complete this process.
- Once you place a hold and receive notification that your items are available, please contact South County Regional by phone to schedule a pickup time. Options are by the hour and only available during regular operating hours. Please call the branch directly at (704) 416-6600.
- Staff will complete the check-out of materials for customers prior to placing them at the front entrance. Note: Customers will notice a change to the traffic flow at South County Regional. For your safety and the safety of others, please exercise caution and follow the signs in the parking lot.
- Staff will wear face masks/coverings and protective equipment. Masks/coverings are also required for customers.
- All material/book drops remain closed. Materials and books should be returned to the designated receptacles located at branch locations only during open hours. Signs will direct customers to the proper bin.
- Wi-Fi access is available outside the facility 24/7.
- Mobile printing is available online and can be picked up at the front entrance of the branch the same as holds. Click here to access mobile printing.
- Free mobile hotspots are available for customers to place on hold for checkout for seven (7) days at a time.
- Fines and fees are suspended.
- Facilities, restrooms and computers will not be open to the public.
To move existing holds from another Library branch to South County Regional:
If you currently have holds you would like to move to South County, please call any Library branch for assistance. Note: Customers cannot complete this action through the Library catalog or mobile app. Only Library staff can reroute existing holds to South County. Click here for Library contact information.
To access programs and support
The South County Regional staff is ready to see all of you again. For now, all programs and events for children, teens, adults, Outreach and the Job Help Center are available in online formats. Click here to see our calendar of online programs.
The Library’s online chat is available at cmlibrary.org - click on the “Ask a Librarian” button at the bottom of the screen. Telephone reference is available during normal operating hours at (704) 416-0101.
Note: Materials and books will be quarantined for 24 hours before they are checked in. There is no need for customers to “clean” or disinfect Library materials.