Have you ever wondered what well-known people like to read? Reader's Club wondered too and asked celebrities to tell us whether they have a favorite book, or a book that has affected their lives in some way. Here are the responses we received from celebrities at the local, national and international levels.
The most recently added Celebrity Reviews are now available as an RSS Feed
View our celebrity quotes on reading
Celebrities on Reading ..
- "Developing an appreciation for literature is essential for people of all ages."
- Michael F. Easley, Governor of North Carolina
- "Reading is the key that opens doors to many good things in life. Reading shaped my dreams, and more reading helped me make my dreams come true."
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court Justice
- My advice about reading is to do a lot of it- those make-believe worlds are the best worlds I know."
- Stephen King, Author
- Books provide so many avenues to knowledge, to understanding, to fun and to solving problems. They help us cope with triumph and tragedy and failure. Books are the best example of human sharing I know. Read on!"
- Janet Reno, first female Attorney General.
- Reading is important to me because it offers me nothing less than all the world of human thought. It is one of the great gifts and helps to balance this life."
- Tyne Daly, Actress
- If you have a question about anything, the answer can be found in a book somewhere in the library."
- Bill Cosby, Comedian
- Reading is important to me because I believe we never stop learning, and the best way to keep learning is to read."
- Jesse Ventura, Minnesota Governor
- "When I was growing up reading was important. We read for entertainment and knowledge . Information is power. The more you read, the more you know and the more successful you become."
- Bob Dole, Senator
- "Reading has always been a major part of my life. It has broadened my world and taken me to places I would otherwise have never seen. Now that I am a hundred years old (this September) it still takes me to the outside world I can no longer visit."
- Phyllis A. Whitney, Author
- Reading keeps me alive. It is like food for my imagination"
- Anndrena Belcher, Nationally known Storyteller
- "I love so many books it's hard to know where to start! How about authors? Charles Dickens, Tom Robbins, Sabrina Ward Harrison, Douglas Coupland, Brian Patten, etc. Reading changes, enhances and enlightens my life, I wouldn't want to live without words."
- Evangeline Lilly, Plays Kate on Lost
Celebrities on Reader's Club .
- "The on-line Reader's Club of the Charlotte and Mecklenburg County Public Library is a dynamic extension of library services to the community."
- Dick Cheney, Vice-President of the United States
- "The Reader's Club is a wonderfully innovative idea (which) promotes the 'joys of reading and lifelong learning!'"
- Robert Redford, Actor
- "Your web site for book lovers sounds worthy and I'm sure you get lots of people excited about books they might not have thought about before... Your cause is wonderful..."
- Helen Gurley Brown, Editor-In-Chief Cosmopolitan Magazine