Local History and Genealogy
Thank you for your interest in Carolina Room information resources. Please email us or telephone at (704) 416-0150 if you need more information about our collections or if you would like assistance with clarifying your question. If you have a research request, please review the policies and procedures below. Following these steps will ensure that your request is handled in the most timely and efficient manner.
We appreciate the opportunity to share the outstanding resources of the Carolina Room. To give priority to Mecklenburg County residents and visitors to our collections, we do not exceed two hours of staff time per request. We may also limit your subsequent requests if necessary. The Board for Certification of Genealogists provides a researcher roster and information about hiring a professional researcher if you need more assistance.
Fee & Payment
What it Covers
- $15/half hour*
- Payable by check, VISA or MC
- Checks must have a current address, phone number and driverís license number.
- A $15 deposit is required to begin work on your behalf. (Time to fill your request cannot exceed 2 hours/$60.00)
- Balance for time beyond the initial half hour will be billed when search is complete
*Mecklenburg County residents will receive 30 minutes of research time free of charge.
- Research time
- First 20 photocopies
- Delivery by: Faxing, standard mail, or e-mail
- More than 20 photocopies are 20 cents each
- Special reproductions such a photographs
- Special or rapid delivery such as Federal Express
- Submit request with your $15.00 deposit
- Submit very specific questions - examples follow
- Reprint of an article from The Charlotte Observer on May 3, 1993 about the implosion of a department store.
- Obituary for James R. Jones who died January 12, 1947 in Steele Creek .
- Copies of 1870 and 1880 Census of Population records for Mary L. Roberts of Davidson. She was widowed in 1868 at age 23 with at least 2 children under 10 at the time.
- Copies of items in the surname folders for Bates and York.
- Specify method of response
- Specify maximum amount of time/dollars to expend (Cannot exceed 2 hours/$60.00)
- Provide mailing address and phone number in addition to email information
Our Mailing Address:
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library - Carolina Room
310 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28202