Rules and Regulations for Conduct in Libraries
The mission of the Library is to make available to all residents, by convenient and free access, collections of expertly selected library materials to meet the public’s informational needs; to promote the enjoyment of reading and the book; to strengthen lifelong learning, citizenship, and the appreciation of the world’s cultural achievements.
The Board of Trustees of the Library has adopted the following policy so that the Library may provide an atmosphere conducive to appropriate use of their services and facilities. Use of the Library is intended to be for reading, studying, writing and listening to written or electronically transmitted materials. Other use is not permitted. The public is required to comply with these Rules and Regulations.
The Library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
The following actions are prohibited on Library property:
- Selling and/or soliciting for services, money or items.
- Distributing or posting printed materials/literature that have not been approved by the Library
- Possessing or consuming alcohol or illegal drugs or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs
- Smoking or other uses of tobacco.
- Consuming food unless purchased within the Library or consuming beverages in open containers.
- Sleeping or putting your head, feet or legs on the table.
- Not wearing shoes or shirt, or wearing clothes unbuttoned or unzipped.
- Bringing animals into the Library other than assistance animals.
- Any loud, unreasonable, and/or disturbing noises created by persons, electronic devices, or cell phones.
- Any behavior that is disruptive to library use.
- Intentionally damaging, destroying, or stealing any Library property, or a patron’s or employee’s property
- Taking Library materials into rest rooms.
- Removing Library materials from the premises without authorization through established lending procedures.
- Using pay phones for extended periods. Use of pay phones will be limited to ten minutes. Pay phones cannot receive incoming calls.
- Moving tables, chairs or other furniture.
- Adults using children’s area. This area is for children and their parents or care providers only.
- Leaving a child under eight years of age unattended by a responsible person.
- Leaving any child or young adult (up to age 17) in the Library after closing time.
- Misuse of rest rooms. Rest rooms are for library patrons only. No changing of clothes, shaving or bathing is allowed.
- Bringing in more than one canvas, nylon, paper or plastic bag. No bag can be over 18 inches in length. Larger bags of any type, bedrolls or luggage are prohibited.
- Carrying weapons of any type.
- Engaging in disorderly conduct of any kind, fighting or challenging to fight or using obscene/offensive words likely to provoke violence.
- Any other illegal acts or conduct in violation of Federal, State, or local law, ordinance or regulation.
- Failure to comply with the Library’s established rules and regulations may result in exclusion from the Library for the day, or permanently, and/or in arrest.
- Theft of Library materials is a serious offense and will result in permanent exclusion from the library and arrest.
- Communication of threats, physical violence or sexual offenses will result in permanent exclusion.
- Trespassers will be arrested and prosecuted.