Need a Proctor?
The Library can assist you with your proctoring needs.
What we can do:
What we cannot do:
- Provide a place to take exam
- Be available during regular business hours, including evenings and weekends (exams must be completed 30 minutes prior to closing)
- Check student ID
- Sign appropriate paperwork
- Distribute exams received in hard copy
- Print exams that have been emailed
- Return pre-stamped and addressed envelopes using the Library’s next-day courier service.
Other issues to consider:
- Provide constant one-on-one monitoring
- Provide postage or supplies or provide postage services outside of the Library’s next-day courier service (Federal Express, USPS Express Mail)
- Help students find answers to test questions
- Contact students to make test arrangements
- Provide proctor’s personal information, such as Social Security number
- Be responsible for mailed, faxed, or emailed exams not received by the college or institution
Recommended locations for proctoring exams:
- Proctoring services are $30.00 per exam (non-refundable) plus any incidental fees. Incidental fees include: printing costs (.20 per B/W page, .50 per color page), faxing (US - $1.50 first page, $1 each page after, International - $4.95 first page, $3.45 each page after) and photocopies (.20 per page). If you’re a non-resident without a non-resident library card ($45 annually) and wish to take an exam using a library PC, there will be a $2 fee for an Internet day pass.
- Acceptable forms of payment for proctoring include cash, check or money order. Credit card payment is not available at all of our locations at this time. Please check with the location you’ll be testing at for payment options.
- Computer access for online exams may vary per location. If computer access is available at a location, proctors are subject to the Library’s policies regarding PC usage. Any student testing online who requires use of a library Internet PC will need a Charlotte Mecklenburg library card. For those who don’t reside in Mecklenburg County, there is a fee of $2.00 for an Internet pass. Internet PCs are generally limited to 60 minute sessions. The Library also provides free Wi-Fi at most locations. Students may choose to bring their own personal laptop if their institution allows. You should contact your branch ahead of time if you have any questions regarding public PC use for proctored exams.
- Fax service may not be available at all Library locations. Please contact your location about fax availability prior to taking an exam.
- Most locations have study rooms that may be used for test taking if available. Availability of the Library’s study rooms varies at each location. Please contact a proctor at the location for information regarding the availability of study rooms.
- Please schedule all exams one week prior to the exam. You may schedule multiple exams at once if possible. Missed appointments will be handled on a case by case basis. But the availability of proctors may vary per location. Please contact your library location regarding any changes for scheduled exams.